Today, your company – every company – is in the software business: businesses use software to interact with their customers, and produce, market, and deliver their goods and services.
If you’re not innovating with software, you’re in real danger of letting the opportunities of digital disruption pass you by – something your competitors are sure to take advantage of.
To avoid this, you want to be making full use of all your IT talent. But your IT talent is busy elsewhere.
The fact is that the average business is managing around 1,800 discrete software titles.
That is a lot of software to manage. Let’s look at the lifecycle of a single piece of software (and remember – all this has to repeated around 1,800 times).
The challenge of managing one piece of software
We’ll start at the beginning. So, your line of business asks you for a new piece of software.
You have to justify the request. Organizations tell us employees regularly wait four days for approval of new software. Four days for software they need right away, to do their job today.
Once you’ve requested the software, you then have to go and buy it. The average procurement cycle is eleven days, just for off-the-shelf items available locally. For new enterprise software, the process can take weeks, months and sometimes even years.
Once your software has been requested and acquired, you must deploy it to hundreds or thousands of users. Using standard systems management tools, deployments can take up to a week for software to be delivered to the user.
Having deployed the software, you must manage and secure it on an ongoing basis. Gartner tells us that many organizations take 120 days to achieve a 90 to 95% patch success rate – the most basic level of security. This is a high risk strategy, given that 75% of cyber-attacks use publicly known vulnerabilities in commercial software that could be prevented by regular patching.
Finally, you need to retire the software when you’re no longer using it. According to a recent software waste study by 1E, up to 37% of all installed software is not being used – and yet continues to be paid for and to be managed.
No wonder our customers tell us that, on average, their IT departments are spending 90% of their time just managing this software. That leaves their IT staff with just 10% of their time to focus on digital innovation, and on developing new software to drive their businesses forward.
There is a better way
1E solutions are specifically designed to automate and to simplify repetitive software management tasks at each stage of the software lifecycle. Software Lifecycle Automation has already delivered $2.5 billion in business benefits: here are some examples of how 1E can improve every stage of that lifecycle:
We provide an industry leading enterprise app store that allows users to get the apps they need almost immediately. Coca Cola is using this to reduce software request time from 8 days to less than 1 hour.
Our Software Asset Management solution allowed LabCorp to gather all the relevant data around all their current software titles in less than one day, something they had never been able to do, ever.
Our content distribution system delivers software to the users whenever they need it, without disrupting the business. Verizon Wireless used this to upgrade 39,000 users to the latest version of Windows in a single month – less than 10% of the time of other large enterprises.
We can offer you a range of solutions that keep your software fully patched, on the latest version, and audit compliant. 1E is helping Becton Dickinson to ensure patch success rates of 96%, compared to previous levels of 80%.
1E has the most advanced software reclaim tool available. Schneider Electric pointed our solutions at only 3 vendors initially, and reclaimed $1.3m worth of unused software in just 2 months.